Thursday, April 21, 2011

NME magazine sure knows how to put Lady Gaga on the spot.

In fact, they know how to bring her to tears.

It all went down during an interview with NME Magazine when Gaga was asked about the similarities between her song “Born This Way” and Madonna’s song “Express Yourself”

First, I have to say the first thing I thought after hearing “Born This Way” was that it sounded like Madonna.

The press hears it, her fans hear it, the blogosphere hears it, I hear it, and even Madonna has heard it. But Lady Gaga? Not so much.

Gaga responded by saying,

“I don’t think… I swear to you. I am not stupid enough to put out a record and be that moronic.”

Well, it’s not like they were accusing her of plagiarism – even though that seems to be the way she took it. As if she had heard the criticism before.

But it was too late. Gaga lashed out at the interviewer saying,

“No. Listen to me. Why the f##k…? I’m a songwriter. I’ve written loads of music. Why would I try to put out a song and think I’m getting one over on everybody?

That’s retarded. What a completely ridiculous thing to even question me about. I will look you in your eyes and tell you that I am not dumb enough or moronic enough to think that you are dumb enough or moronic enough not to see that I would have stolen a melody.”

Of course after using the word “retarded” everybody had to pile on.

The mental health charity Mencap criticized the singer over her use of the “R” word and started a big stink about how irresponsible it was. Gaga has since apologized saying it was "furiously unintentional".

Gaga continued to attack the magazine with,

“If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the chord progression. It’s the same one that’s been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I’m the first f##king artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn’t mean I’m a plagiarist, it means that I’m f##king smart. Sorry.”

When the topic turned to her new single “Judas” she started to break down and cry when considering what her fans think of the new song.

This entire mess has been clearly uncomfortable for Lady Gaga, but on a bright note – Weird Al Yankovic released his parody of “Born This Way” today.

Related: Weird Al Yankovic Covers Lady Gaga with “Perform This Way” Parody

You know what they say – imitation is the best form of flattery. Right? That’s been Gaga’s strategy all along – right?

What irony.

Let it go and let’s move on folks.

Watch Lady Gaga's Extended “Born This Way” Music Video

Popular Posts